Monday 2 June 2014

"To read"

Not necessarily in this order


There was an article on the Guardian website this weekend wondering how many books there is time left to read in your life, and the oppressive shudder of realising that it isn't really all that many. (At my rate I reckon I get through 40

a year these days, a figure that falls year on year as more and more technological delights vie for my time.  Which is not a complaint, by the way).

I feel fairly confident in saying that I am not the only one with a pile of books to read that never seems to get smaller, with additions coming to it at roughly twice the rate that they are cleared.  I've been thinking about whether this is a good thing - is the pile an enticing incentive to keep reading and a reminder of pleasures to come, or is it actually an oppressive reminder that you are never finished?

Morbid chap that I sometimes am, I have wondered what my pile will look like when I die - what books will I intend to read, pick out and order, and then never get to read.  What will be the final book too far? 

All in all I think the "to read pile" is a positive thing - the sight of the tottering tower usually gives me a tiny thrill - a shiver of anticipation that at least one of these books, probably more, are going to grab me my the throat, occupy my imagination completely and keep me up into the small hours day after day.


And whilst that is happening, the pile will keep growing...

No comments:

Post a Comment