Tuesday 29 April 2014

Saffron Rolls

More an exercise in food photography than anything else.  More work needed!



When I moved in with my partner, she didn't have much in the way of furniture or homewares to add to the party, but she did have the most enormous box of saffron I have ever seen, and all things considered I think it makes it even.  It's such a warming and delicate addition to bakes in particular, I find it really elevates bread.

These are a simple white bread roll with a pinch of saffron soaked in the water for a bit before adding, to augment some of these I also added a few cumin seeds to the top, but I have found these to be a bit overwhelming on occasion, so I would suggest less is more when it comes to cumin.

These rolls are batched, which (as I understand the term in any case) means that they join up when baked together, meaning that the leave a lovely soft side when separated.  It's also a good way to get more onto a smaller baking tray...

Next on the agenda - sweet saffron buns.  Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment